· Long (46 years!) career at sea, the greater part of which has been spent in various Deck Officer ranks onboard a wide variety of Chemical Tankers and Cable Ships.
· Career includes periods as OIC, Marine Consultant, Client Representative, OIM and also Captain of a small coastal chemical tanker.
· Over 20 years of experience working on cable ships and barges in the submarine telecommunications and power cable industries.
· Sound knowledge of cable ship operations, including telecom cables maintenance and installation; wind farm work and submarine power cables. Actively interested in and continually updating knowledge of the submarine cable and offshore renewable energy industries in general.
· Good communication and reporting skills in English.
. Basic communication skills, (including the ability to read and write,) in both the Japanese and Thai languages.
Recent work experience:
Cable ships and submarine telecommunications cable industry: 22 years of experience, (most of which has been spent working as a Chief Officer,) on a variety of very busy cable ships, engaged in submarine cable installation and repair projects. More recently, I have been involved in working as an Offshore Installation Manager onboard a cable installation vessel on a project in Indonesia; project planning; on board Client Representative work during both submarine telecom cable repairs and installation projects - and marine consultancy including a vessel inspection, preparation of the report and recommendations for a prospective purchaser of a cable ship.
Submarine power cables and offshore wind farm projects: Includes three years of wind farm and power cable experience – mostly spent working as a Chief Officer on board cable ships engaged in inter-array cable burial. I have also worked as DOIM on a barge conducting inter-array power cable installations in the North Sea. Other power cable experience includes work as a Client Representative for Western Link, (a joint venture between Scottish Power and the National Grid,) on an HVDC cable repair off the Wirral Coast, in the North West of England.
Main professional qualifications:
Chief Mate CoC
Complete SOLAS courses as required for the position of a Chief Officer: ECDIS, GMDSS, Medical Care, Advanced Fire-fighting ETC., ETC.
Nautical Institute: MNI